Our sixth international study tour is heading stateside
Get a taste of the States as you experience the latest innovations in retirement living, assisted living and care on One Fell Swoop’s IST20.
Keynote speakers in the senior sector include experts on senior housing, longevity, mixed use projects, research, customer experience, health and wellbeing and dementia care, along with financing and sales. We’ll be touring luxury resort communities, boutique independent living projects, broadacre and vertical communities and best-in-class developments in four of the USA’s most exciting cities. All while staying at spectacular hotels and dining at celebrated and awarded restaurants along the way.
This is an outstanding opportunity to enhance your knowledge and make valuable connections with the industry’s most progressive leaders and thinkers. It will challenge the way we manage every aspect of retirement living and aged care across Australia and New Zealand.
Our 11-day tour begins in the Windy City, with its stunning architecture, five-star dining and low-key culture. Arrive at the magnificent Viceroy hotel, an iconic 1920s building with luxurious amenities and ultra-modern services. Set within the affluent Gold Coast area, the Viceroy has been voted by Travel+Leisure as Chicago’s number one hotel for 2019. You can choose to spend the day with us on our optional ‘Three of the Best’ Chicago experience, which includes:
- The Art Institute of Chicago
- An architecture tour by speedboat across Lake Michigan
- A swift ride up the 442m Willis Tower to the Skydeck.
In the evening, unwind from your flight or the day’s activities over a drink with fellow delegates at the Viceroy rooftop bar, Devereaux, as you take in the spectacular views of the Chicago skyline. Onwards to dinner at Somerset’s Regatta Room, where you’ll be dazzled by Executive Chef Lee Wolen’s award-winning cuisine.
We kick off our IST20 learnings with a one day conference. Headline speakers are:
- Dr. Margaret Wylde, CEO of ProMatura, America’s pre-eminent global market research and advisory firm for seniors
- Ann Mackenzie, Development Director of Chicago Housing Authority, Chicago’s largest senior housing landlord
- Juliet Holt, Director of Dementia Programs, Brookdale Senior Living
- Dr. Susan Hughes, Codirector, Center for Research on Health and Aging
- Charles Bissell, Managing Director of JLL, national provider of senior housing services
After the conference, join fellow delegates and speakers for dinner at two Michelin starred restaurant, Smyth. This is an outstanding opportunity to network with all attendees while savouring lavish food and wine. A quintessential Chicago experience!
Today, we will be touring several of Chicago’s newest and most innovative projects, including:
- Northtown Library and Apartments, Chicago Housing Authority’s mixed use development
- Ravenswood Hospital Redevelopment, a $60 million development pairing senior’s living with primary health
- Atria Glenview, offering independent living, assisted living and memory care in stylish accommodation
- Atria Highland Park, for an older, more dependent resident offering assisted living.
In the evening you have the choice to head to Wrigley Field to watch Chicago Cubs v Pittsburgh Pirates or enjoy dinner, then a night of theatre and song at a Broadway style show.
We’ll be taking in tours of developments that focus on health and wellness, along with assisted living and memory care developments from some of the industry’s heavyweights including:
- Equinox Lincoln Common, a luxury fitness centre being developed by the health and wellness juggernaut that is Equinox
- Arbor Naperville, innovative assisted living and memory care community
- Sunrise of Lincoln Park, showcasing retirement living, assisted living, CareConnect technology and Live With Purpose wellbeing program.
We’ll also take a private guided tour of Frank Lloyd Wright’s home and studio. Optional dinner comes courtesy of the acclaimed Alinea Dining Group, at one of their three celebrated restaurants:
- Alinea – avant-garde, artful cuisine with three Michelin stars
- Roister – one Michelin star, modern American cuisine
- Next – ever changing menu, awarded best new restaurant in America.
We fly to Phoenix, Arizona’s cultural and economic powerhouse capital. Stay at the iconic Waldorf Astoria owned hotel, The Arizona Biltmore, with a rich history and luxurious facilities. Today comes packed with learnings – our day includes tours of:
- Mirabella at Arizona State University, an innovative intergenerational community
- Vi at Silverstone, a Life Plan community offering independent living along with a continuum of care on-site
At day’s end, it’s drinks and dinner at Restaurant Progress, for re-worked American classics and fabulous drinks.
We tour three unparalleled senior developments today, with a strong focus on innovation, wellbeing and luxury resort style living.
- Tuscany at McCormick Ranch, a luxurious, boutique independent living resort by MBK Senior living
- Acoya Troon, a boutique development opening in 2020 for people aged 62+
- Overture Kierland, a new ‘active adult community’ offering hotel-style apartment living.
Tonight, relax with fellow delegates at Virtu restaurant, featuring a modern Mediterranean style menu and handcrafted cocktails, expertly realised by Chef Gio Osso.
Take the day off to explore Phoenix at your leisure. Maybe you might like to:
- Pop into the Desert Botanical Garden
- Learn more about indigenous cultures at the Heard Museums
- Marvel at the glittering ‘Crystal Canyon’ in the Burton Barr Library.
Or you could join us on one of three optional activities, including an adventure into the Sonoran Desert in an all-terrain vehicle, golf on the fairway at The Arizona Biltmore or time out in the luxurious Spa Biltmore. For dinner, Cloth and Flame have created a unique dinner in the desert experience exclusively for IST20.
Fly to Las Vegas, Nevada’s glitzy capital in the middle of the desert. Our accommodation is at The Cosmopolitan, a chic casino resort with opulent interiors, sophisticated bars and celebrated restaurants. Today is the ideal mix of education and fun including:
- Dr Murray Mackenzie, Assistant Professor, University of Nevada, will present on tailoring food and beverage programs to seniors
- Optional sunset helicopter tour over the Grand Canyon
- Optional racing car session to drive around a professional racetrack
- Optional golf session at the Las Vegas National Golf Club.
Dinner is at Lago, offering Italian small plates by celebrity chef Julian Serrano and a view of The Bellagio fountains and water show. Our evening is completed with either Cirque du Soleil’s show ‘O’ or the multi-media theatrics of ‘Blueman’.
According to a 2018 Smart Asset study, Las Vegas has the third highest concentration of retirement communities in Nevada. We look at three unique players in the American senior market with tours including:
- Revel, a newly constructed, broadacre senior living community, offering best-in-class amenities and their exclusive Lumin Living program
- Merrill Gardens at Siena Hills, a family run business with 33 communities in eight states
- Tropicana Palms MHE, offering affordable pre-fab housing to seniors.
Optional dinner tonight is at the outstanding L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon, an upscale French restaurant at The MGM Grand. After dinner, enjoy some free time to explore the flashy sights and sounds of Las Vegas!
Travel from Vegas to Palm Springs in a luxury coach with spectacular scenery along the way. We’re staying at The Parker, a lush oasis of hip architecture in the desert, with its, Jonathon Adler-designed interiors. Today includes educational tours, presentations and architecture:
- Presentation and tour with Wes Winter, Director of the Mizell Senior Center, a 45-year strong community membership space
- Tour of Sun City Palm Desert, a unique gated community with 9,000 residents
- The Modern Tour, a private tour of Palm Springs’ magnificent mid-century homes.
Celebrate our 11 days of learnings at our final conference dinner at Mr Parker, a decadent and inspired dining destination at The Parker.
Palm Springs – Los Angeles
To wrap up our field excursions for IST20, we tour one of the best senior communities in the Greater Palm Springs and Coachella Valley area:
- Trilogy at the Polo Club, a unique gated community with both a senior’s precinct and homes for the wider community
- Lunch is at Trilogy at the Polo Club
- Coach back to LA – approximately two hours.
In LA, join us for an art and design tour at The Broad Art Gallery home to one of the world’s leading collections of post-war and contemporary art, if you wish – what a way to end a sensational IST20!
How much will IST20 cost?
Our 11-day study tour includes, accommodation, internal flights, transfers and most meals and activities.
*Tour cost does not include international flights to Chicago and from Los Angeles or optional extras. All prices are in Australian dollars.
Three of the Best Experience $290
Sunset helicopter tour $950
Car racing from $175 per hour
Golf session $475
Blue Man Group $300
‘O’ Cirque du Soleil $240
Restaurant Progress (tasting menu, paired wines) $245
L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon $395
Additional accommodation before tour
The Viceroy Hotel $350
Chicago to Phoenix (3.38)
First class upgrade $380
Phoenix to Las Vegas (1.09)
First class upgrade $230
Our payment terms
50% payable by 1 December 2019
50% payable by 1 February 2020
Cancellations and refunds
Refunds from cancellations will only be possible if we are able to find a replacement delegate or negotiate with the hotel, transport company or other agencies. Information and itinerary on this website and in the brochure is correct at the time of issue but is subject to change.